The Green Ideas Challenge 2015
ANNOUNCING THE WINNERS OF THE GREEN IDEAS CHALLENGE:
- Public Education About the Water Cycle and The Benefit of Rain Gardens: Community Member, Susan H.
- Cora Kelly Creates with UpCycle: Community Member, Kelley O.
- Jefferson-Houston's Children Garden: Community Member: Wendy S.
- Support Environmental 'STEAM' Learning at Jefferson Houston School: Community Member: Eliza E.
CONGRATULATIONS! Winners will be recognized at the Alexandria Earth Day Celebration on Saturday, April 25 at Ben Brenman Park between 12:15-12:45pm. Thank you to everyone who submitted ideas for this year's Green Ideas Challenge, and a special thank you to the Dominion Foundation, for making all of these green projects possible.
Starting on March 2, ACTion Alexandria, an initiative of ACT for Alexandria, is asking for your ideas for making Alexandria a greener, more sustainable place to live, work, and play. A total of $5000, generously provided by The Dominion Foundation, will be awarded. Submitted ideas will be reviewed by a panel of judges, and the winning ideas will be awarded up to $2000 each.
(Past Winners: Four Mile Run Tree Planting, Huntley Meadows Art & Nature Classes, 2014 Award Winners)
What: Your ideas for making Alexandria greener!
When: Submit your ideas from March 2 to April 3. Then tell your friends to support your idea from April 4-April 12! (The number of supports an idea receives is only one of the factors considered by the judging panel, and decisions will not be made solely based on supports). Winners will be recognized at the Alexandria Earth Celebration on Saturday, April 25.
Where: Click on Add Idea to submit your idea!
How: Submit your idea to be reviewed by a panel of judges. Winning ideas will receive up to $2000 each in grant money from the Dominion Foundation.
Why: Together, we can make Alexandria an even better place to live, work, and play!
The best ideas will:
- Take $2,000 or less to implement
- Be implemented in Alexandria and be community or neighborhood focused
- Not require City resources to implement
- Be submitted by a nonprofit organization or include a nonprofit or city partner.
- Special consideration will be given to ideas that target and/or incorporate youth
- (The number of supports an idea receives is only one of the factors considered by the judging panel).
Please include the following in your idea:
- A description of the project, including location and resources needed.
- The estimated cost of the project.
- How long the project would take to be implemented.
- Who the beneficiaries of the project will be.
Questions? Call 703-739-7778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org