This Week's Nonprofit Spotlight is Healthy Families Alexandria
What Is Healthy Families Alexandria?
Healthy Families Alexandria serves to assist pregnant women and first-time parents residing in Alexandria. They promote positive parenting, improved health and development of Alexandria children, school preparedness, and stopping child abuse in the area.
Healthy Families Alexandria's Mission
The overall goal of Healthy Families Alexandria is to create healthy and strong families throughout Alexandria by improving their livelihoods through much needed support programs. A subset of the Northern Virginia Family Service, their overall goal is "to empower individuals and families to improve their quality of life, and to promote community cooperation and support in responding to family needs."
- Family Assessment: A Family Resourse Specialist (FRS) provides parents who are in need, something which is determined by the Kempe Stress Checklist, with referrals to community resources.
- Home Visits: Family Support Workers (FSWs) visit and assist families who are expecting or supporting a child younger than five years of age. During these visits, FSWs talk with the family in order to create goals in accordance the families' needs, teach parents about child maturing and possible health care, administer developmental screenings, and foster literacy.
How You Can Get Involved
- Donate: A small donation can travel quite a distance as any gift will certainly create a healthier environment and stronger, tighter familes.
- Tell Others and Volunteer: By informing friends, awareness of the problems that certain families endure will rise and most likely more individuals will be willing to help, perhaps not by giving a physical gift, but by lending their services to help Healthy Families Alexandria.
- Clock Tower Thrift Shops: At 75% lowere costs than retail stores, Clock Tower Thrift Shops offer affordable and scarcely weathered merchandise from clothes to childish toys to sports supplies to elaborate jewelry. With all proceeds headed directly to the Northern Virginia Family Service, any contribiution you will support parents and families in dire need.