This Week's Nonprofit Spotlight is The Art League
What is The Art League?
Established in 1954, the Art League, a nonprofit organization located in Alexandria, serves as a top charitable and educational facility. Teaching about 7,000 students every year through engaging classes, extraordinary exhibitions, and an artistic environment, The Art League introduces or furthers a person's expertise in art. Furthermore, it enriches the community by sharing its visual arts.
The Art League's Mission
The Art League strives to provide the community with a source of enjoyment, affordable education and charitable gifts to underpriveleged children of Alexandria primarily through the Art League's own organization, Space of Her Own.
The Art League Program Highlights
- The Art league School: An incredible educational experience, the Art League School offers classes and workshops in almost any type of fine arts or fine crafts. For instance, for kids from ages 5-15, the school hosts a month long summer camp and a five day summer camp that engages students in new and unique projects in either drawing, painting, printmanking, or sculpture.
- Lecture series and enrichment: The Art League has its own library holding books that focus on anything from technical skills to framing to color mixing and theory. Besides this source of knowledge, lectures by skilled artists such as Adobe Photoshop extraordinaire, John Burgess, or Kate Fraser, an expert in acheiving a successful arts career, flood the class with newfound information that will play a major part in anything to do with the arts.
- The Scholarship Fund: The Geri Gordon Scholarship Fund provides underpriveleged children, residing in Alexandria, a chance to take an art class that they might not otherwise be able to take.
How You Can Get Involved With The Art League
- Donate: By giving a gift to The Art League, you can help continue expanding the curriculum, providing the public with a sisual source of relaxation and exuberance, and giving less fortunate children a chance to enjoy the arts.
- Take a Class: With dozens of courses available each semester for every level, there's sure to be one for you.