Volunteer at Huntley Meadow Park on National Public Lands Day
Virginia, Maryland and D.C. are filled with beautiful and bountiful trees, flowers, gardens and wilderness. Why not help preserve some of the beauty by volunteering for National Public Lands Day this Saturday, September 29th.
Huntley Meadows Park is asking for volunteers to help remove invasive plants but you can volunteer at over a dozen parks in the area. Head over to the NPLD website to find volunteer projects near you.
According to NPLD,
In 2011, more than 170,000 volunteers worked at 2,067 sites in every state, the District of Columbia and in many U.S. territories. NPLD volunteers:
- Collected an estimated 23,000 pounds of invasive plants
- Built and maintained an estimated 1,500 miles of trails
- Planted an estimated 100,000 trees, shrubs and other native plants
- Removed an estimated 500 tons of trash from trails and other places
- Contributed an estimated $17 million through volunteer services to improve public lands across the country