STARS Playground is a Dream Come True for Alexandria Kids
We did it!
In less than six hours - from the Zumba warm-up to the Cupid Shuffle mulch stomp - almost 200 volunteers showed up to make dreams come true for kids of the ARHA Hopkins-Tancil Court community.
What does almost 200 volunteers and a bunch of happy kids look like?
Three Washington Capitals players - Brooks Laich, Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green - plus a very mischievious Slapshot joined in on the fun!
We were there shoveling, building and otherwise working hard in our special edition Washing Capitals volunteers t-shirts. We even got to meet Mike Green, a co-founder of So Kids Can along with Elliot Segal from Elliot in the Morning.
All this wouldn't have been possible without the help of KaBOOM!, the Washington Capitals, So Kids Can, and the Alexandria Housing and Redevelopment Authority (ARHA) and the amazing volunteers that showed up to do some pretty hard work. Thank you!
What We Built
Check out what we built below or on our Facebook page.
- One awesome red spiral slide (Tracy helped install this one personally!) and a smaller double toddler slide
- A climbing wall
- Not just one hoop, but a triple shoot
- Activity panels to promote math and reading
- Monkey bars and a skyway
- Art easels and cubbies for after-school projects
- Twister and hopscotch sidewalk games
- Picnic tables, benches, trash containers and planters
- And so much more!
How You Can Help
We've got a lot more playful events going on this Fall - like our Community at Play series - and we'd like for you to get involved! Sign-up with our Project Play initiative today to give Alexandria's kids a chance to play!