Project Play is Off to the Races!
*UPDATES and REMINDERS (((in our disco-pink)))*
$15,000 in Spruce Up Grants are up for grabs.
Project Play officially launched on November 17th. Since, we have received a total of 11 playspaces for Ideas! While this is a great start, we would love to see more playgrounds submitted as an Idea for a Spruce Up Grant.
Did you know that the City of Alexandria has over 80 identified playgrounds?
This means there are at least 73 playspaces that have not been nominated for a Spruce Up Grant. If your neighborhood playspace needs a little TLC, then this is the Challenge for you.
Check out our first 11 entries:
- Holmes Run Park has been nominated by a parent who has lived in the area for 32 years. It was nominated because some of the structures are not proper for small children. Is this your neighborhood playspace? Vote for it!
- Buchanan Street Park got the nod from a concerned neighbor. There are NO SWINGS!?! for little children. The level of mulch has also been deteriorating for years. Is this your playspace? Vote!
- South 28th Street Park has also been nominated for a Spruce Up Grant. Do you live near this playspace? Not only does it need your vote, but it also needs your comments so we know how the grant could help!
- Angel Park has been nominated by a concerned neighbor. It basketball court needs some helping hands and once again, there are NO SWINGS!?! in this playground. Want to see Angel Park have the chance for a Spruce Up? Vote!
- Montgomery Park got the nod from a North Old Town resident. Apparently its visited quite frequently by tots but needs more small equipment for them. Do you take your tots there? Vote for it!
- Lyles-Crouch Playground has been nominated by a concerned citizen. This playspace is in need of new grass. When it rains the entire lot floods, leaving kids stranded with no playspace. Does your child use Lyles-Crouch's playspace? If so, vote for it!
- Mount Vernon Community School has been suggested! They want stump tables, small bridges and playhouses to improve its functionality for toddlers. Is this your neighborhood playground? Vote for it!
- Beverly Hills Church has also recieved a nod! It needs new fitness elements to update this older playspace. Is this where you take your tike? If so, Vote for it!
- Carpenter's Shelter has been nominated as well. They're asking for new smaller equipment and new trash cans. Vote for it now!
- South Royal Street Toddler Lot has been nominated too! It needs fresh sand for its sandbox, more trash cans and a water fountain. Check it out and vote for it today!
How Can You Participate in Project Play?
Now, if y'all can't tell...I really love swings. If there is a piece of equipment, grass or mulch, or issue (trash cans, benches, shade etc.) that you really would love to see at your playspace, nominate the playspace and tell us what it is. Ask your kids what they'd like to have to play with on the playground, nominate the playspace and let us know the item! Then, don't forget to promote your nomination to try to get more votes. Only registered users can vote. It's super simple to register for the site.
How The Winners Are Picked
The amount of votes you receive does not guarantee a grant. The Assessment Team will take into account all factors...BUT if your playspace does not get nominated it will have no chance at all to receive a grant, no matter what condition it is in. So, I suggest you hop to it. The last day to nominate is January 6, 2012.