4MRMarket Report: "Where's the Beef?" Edition
The beef is back. The Stiflers will be at 4MRMarket again this Sunday with their fabulous meat.
And Fall is here and the Four Mile Run Farmers & Artisans Market is in the homestretch. We have a great year of fantastic products and now we head into another season with more to offer.
Fabulous Fall Savory Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
With temperatures beginning to drop, it's a sure sign that fall is here. And with the fall weather, be on the lookout for all of your fall favorites: squash, beets, cabbage, hearty greens, and, of course, pumpkins! So climb out of bed and warm up with thoughts of roasted butternut squash or beets, braised greens, or whatever your fall favorite might be. If you haven't considered the great options, be sure to fall for fall produce!
And there'll be music!
Matt Tarka will be performing on the 4MR Stage!
Matt is a singer/songwriter whose introspective lyrics and sharp rhythms are designed for your back porch or a ride into town. Tarka’s songs can jolt you like a conversation with an old friend, picking up right where you left off on the trail.
Thanks to everyone that donated for the St. Rita's Annual Clothing Drive over the past 2 weeks. We had quite an impressive haul that were handed out on Saturday, October 13th from the St. Rita School Hall to our neighbors in Arlandria.
And here's more great news. 4MRMarket now offers seniors another great way to Buy Fresh, Buy Local. C&T Produce participates in the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP). Eligible seniors can use theses SFMNP to buy produce at C&T's stand at 4MRMarket every Sunday.
Come out and enjoy the market this weekend, cool weather means time to put on a sweater and light jacket and embrace fall in the 4MRMarket Lounge. As always, we have our great supply of produce, meat, cheese, crafts, breakfast treats, and more.
Here is who you'll find at 4MRMarket this week:
- Bread & Chocolate (Arlandria) - A range of baked goods.
- C & T Produce (White Oak, VA) - A huge selection of locally grown produce from a locally, family-run farm in Stafford, Virginia.
- The Stifler Farm aka "What's For Dinner Now" - Farm-raised Black Angus beef, humanely raised on lush pasture fields of the Shenandoah Valley, naturally farmed pork...and now... Uncle Frank's Grilling Sauce!!
- St. Elmo's Coffee Pub (Del Ray) - Brewed coffee, tea, and a few extra goodies.
- No. 1 Sons (Arlandria) - Produces wild cultured foods by hand in Alexandria. This brother and sister team live in Arlandria and do not heat treat or use preservatives. They make pickles, sauerkraut, dilly beans, kim chi, beets, hot sauce and more that is "Proudly Cloudy".
- Tom's Amish Cheese Store (Lancaster, PA) - Artisan Cheese, yogurt and Pennsylvania honey.
4MRMarket as featured on NPR
- Baguette Republic (Sterling, VA) - A traditional artisan bakery producing a large variety of artisan breads, pastries and cookies using the best European techniques and tradition.
Crafts and Natural Health Supplies:
- Swee Lo (found at the No. 1 Son's Tent) - Sterling silver jewelry handcrafted by Balinese artisans designed by Swee Lo.
- Josi Essentials Organics (Centreville, VA) - A naturally effective, eco-friendly, line of handmade bath and body skin care goodies. Her products are made with bio-dynamic, natural botanical active ingredients.
- Whole Health Medical (Alexandria, VA) - Organic teas and body scrubs from one of the largest Message and Acupuncture Therapy businesses in Northern Virginia (approved by the Alexandria Health Department).
See below all the ways to help and participate in the market!
The supercool 4MRMarket t-shirt
BUY. Proceeds of our 4MRMarket T-shirts go to support the expansion and revitalization of 4MR Park. They cost $12 and come in 4 colors. See us model a few at the market. You can pre-pay online via Pay-Pal (send money to 4MRM@arlandria.org).
DONATE. Help 4MRMarket help 4MRPark. Tax-deductible donations can be made to support us in our efforts to revitalize Four Mile Run Park. Donate to the City's Living Landscape Fund to fund tree and other amenities at 4MRExpand More information here.
HELP. If you'd like to volunteer with the 4MRMarket, go to: volunteer.4MRMarket.org to sign up or look for the "volunteer" tab on our website. You'll be able to volunteer to help process SNAP/EBT sales, help us keep our books, help set up or tear down for the market, or help us find musicians to play the market. You can also find a Market Manager to ask to help, or email us at 4MRMarket@arlandria.org for more info.
READ. Keep up to date on all the goings on by following 4MRMarket on Facebook or Twitter or via our website and blog.
SPREAD THE WORD. Please tell folks about us. And tell folks about some of the great things we're doing. For instance, all SNAP/EBT participants can take advantage of the Inova-sponsored "Double Dollar" program again this year that doubles the first $10 SNAP participants spend at the market. 4MRMarket is the first farmers’ market in Northern Virginia (and still the only) to accept SNAP. And now SFMNP vouchers!
Buy Fresh Buy Local 4MRMarket products
The Four Mile Run Farmers and Artisans Market (Alexandria, Virginia 22305) brings fresh, nutritious food to people of all income levels, provide an opportunity for local artisans and producers of goods to bring their wares to market, strive to reflect the diversity of the community, and improve the quality of life for Arlandria residents and visitors. It is part of an overall vision to expand and improve Four Mile Run park and the surrounding neighborhood.
4MRMarket is open every Sunday from 8am until 1pm from May through October in Four Mile Run Park at 4109 Mt Vernon Avenue, Alexandria.
For more info see: http://www.4mrmarket.org/
Contact us at: 4MRMarket@arlandria.org
Or call the 4MRMarket hotline: (804) 4mi-Run1